By now most people have at least heard about hormone replacement. But how do you know if you need it? Well, here are five distinct signs that hormone replacement could benefit you.
- Hot Flashes – If you have ever had one, you KNOW what I am talking about. When it feels like your entire body is going to ignite and you need to stand in front of the open freezer, you are experiencing a hot flash. This is a sure sign that your hormones are changing, and you need to investigate hormone replacement. You don’t have to put up with this…it can be fixed.
- Night Sweats – Can sometimes go hand-in-hand with hot flashes but waking up with your nightgown soaking wet doesn’t have to be tolerated. Not only is this a huge nuisance, it will inevitably interfere with your sleep, causing all the health issues that correspond with sleep deprivation as well.
- Weight gain – Yes, getting “thicker around the middle” can be related to hormone imbalance. Particularly for women, weight gain is usually in the abdominal area. Thyroid can also play a role in weight gain and should be checked along with hormone labs.
- Fatigue – Remember how much more energy you had when you were in your 20s? Well, part of that energy was due to your increased hormone levels during that time. Hormone replacement (in particular Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement) can help to replenish these hormone levels and get back the “pep in your step!”
- Lack of Sex Drive – Don’t be afraid to admit it…you may be apathetic about sex. Not really wanting or caring if you have sex is a sign that your hormones levels are declining. Women need testosterone too (in much smaller doses than men) in order to help keep their sex drive active. If you find yourself just not in the mood, you need to see a qualified hormone replacement doctor. Believe me, your significant other will thank you.
There are multiple other signs and symptoms that hormone replacement can help alleviate. However, if you currently have any one of these five, you should see a doctor. A simple blood test can show the levels of all your hormones and thyroid.
Dr. Melissa Miskell is a bio-identical hormone replacement expert who has been practicing for 18 years, and is the Medical Director of Hormones by Design in Waco, Texas. Suzi Hancock is a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner that will love to see you in our Waco office! Hormones by Design is currently accepting new patients at (254) 230-4225.